A Few Fun Jellyfish Fish Facts!
Have you ever imagined that any of the bizarre beings of Science Fiction movies have the same qualities as creatures already inhabiting our world?
Well, it’s possible that some of the amazing creatures we have here on Earth may just rival Sci-Fi, steal your thoughts away from Outer Space and bring them right back here to Home!
Especially if you consider the other-worldly lifestyles of Jellyfish …
15 AMAZING “SCI-FI” FACTS ABOUT JELLYFISH:
- Some Jellyfish are actually IMMORTAL … Really! There’s honestly a species of Jellyfish that has learned to defy death. As bizarre as this sounds, it’s true! There’s a species of Jellyfish that matures, mates, and then reverts back to its juvenile stage OVER & OVER … “from here to eternity”! It will live forever if it stays away from predators or disease.
- And since Jellyfish fossils can be traced back for almost 600 million years, before the earliest of dinosaurs, these immortals must have some very interesting stories to tell.
- Although, maybe not because Jellyfish don’t have brains!
- Or eyes or hearts or bones …
- But they do have mouths, very small ones in the middle of their bodies
- Their mouths aren’t just used for eating, though. Jellyfish also excrete waste from them (gross)
- And they’re able to shoot torrents of water from their mouths, too, thus creating forceful Jet streams to propel themselves forward! Very Sci-Fi!
- And here’s a little more Sci-Fi … Jellyfish CLONE themselves! If a Jellyfish is cut in pieces it regenerates and doubles, becoming 2 healthy Jellyfish instead of 1.
- Not only that, if they’re hurt or violently threatened in any way, a Jellyfish will expel all of its eggs, ensuring that whatever its own fate may be, hundreds of new Jellyfish babies are on their way to creation.
- And this is exciting! Some species of Jellyfish are capable of producing their own luminescence, thereby lighting themselves up. They actually GLOW IN THE DARK!
- Others are a beautiful rainbow of colors ranging from vibrant pinks, yellows, and blues to incredible purples.
- And yet others are semi-translucent and sometimes completely transparent, making them virtually undetectable. And so, while we may not have the “Invisible Man” outside of movies and imagination we do have INVISIBLE JELLYFISH
- Considered a delicacy in some places, Jellyfish are an ingredient in a brand of salted caramel.
- And ice creams occasionally use Jellyfish proteins, too. One type of incredibly expensive ice cream reportedly glows in the dark!
- But I think this is the coolest … maybe because we share the same palette … Jellyfish like Peanut Butter! Some Aquarists apparently wondered if they could create real-life peanut butter + jelly (fish) combos … So they test-fed jellyfish a saltwater/peanut butter mixture. And apparently, jellyfish are onboard with the idea!